Monday, April 3, 2017

My Thoughts on the iPhone X

My Thoughts on the iPhone X

Image source: http://assets.hardwarezone.com/img/2017/09/DSC_1461.jpg

For more than a decade, our intention has
been to create an iphone that is all display. A physical object that disappears into the
experience. This is iPhone X. Hey everybody and welcome to the video.

This is Josh here, and today we're talking
about the iPhone x. I've been an avid apple fan and user for a
little over a decade now. I went to school for graphic design, I've
always loved their products, so take that for what it is, this will be a little bit
of a bias review. I've been using this phone for a little bit
over a week now and let me tell you, it has been a joy to use.

I don't want to show you guys the whole unboxing,
but I did record the only thing that matters, the most important. You're welcome. So the first thing I wanted to dive into is
the new design. You know, I came from the iPhone 7 plus so
I'm used to the bigger form factor, this is a lot closer in feel to the regular 6, 7,
and 8 lineup than it is the plus lineup, which I like.

You kind of get the best of both worlds. You have that smaller, more handheld form
factor but I do have the bigger screen that the plus line used to have. So going almost entirely edge to edge on the
new display, with the exception of the notch. I know there's been a lot of hate out there
for the notch, I love that picture of MKBHD.

With the notch haircut. Let me tell you, I never really had a problem
with it to begin with, and especially now after using for a little over a week it's
not something that I am even thinking about anymore. I would much rather have that little notch
there than have a bigger bezel. And with that edge to edge display comes a
brand new OLED screen, this thing looks leaps and bounds better than the iPhone 7 plus.

One little gripe I do have though, the aspect
ratio is a little bit goofy on this compared to what I'm used to. I noticed it a lot more in the first couple
of days, now it hasn't been as much of a problem, but the phone is a lot taller and skinnier
than I pictured. What that means though for video, you know
a lot of us are watching YouTube videos, and a lot of common video that we watch unless
it has that letterbox bar is going to also be in a 16x9. Unless you want to zoom and crop in, you're
going to have bezels on either side, so I.

Feel like the bigger display isn't utilized
quite as well because that aspect ratio is stretched out so much. Really really great for navigating the phone,
really great for web browsing, really great for everything else but watching video. It does also use a new technology called true
tone, it will adjust the white balance of the screen to try and best match and accurately
represent the colors in whatever environment you're in. Apple has also decided to go with an entirely
glass body on this phone.

Now I am somebody that has been case-less
for the last couple of years and this does have me a little bit concerned. As I see more and more of the drop tests coming
in, I'm pretty much certain, if I drop this phone it's going to break. I use AppleCare, they've always taken care
of my other devices in the past, even when I was outside of that warranty timeframe. After getting the AppleCare it's $29 for a
screen replacement, that's cheaper than half the cases on the market, but that's something
to keep in mind.

If you don't get a good strong case, if you
drop it most likely it will break. Alright, so the next big change I wanted to
talk about is faceID. Apple has gotten rid of the fingerprint sensor
in the touchID system in favor of FaceID. It uses a combination of different cameras
in that front little notch, and it scans your face and allows you to unlock your phone.

Honestly, I've been using FaceID for a little
over a week now and I do not miss touchID. In the slightest. The faceID works quicker and better and easier
in my opinion, I just look at the phone and it unlocks, there's not really any delay. I'd say about 1 out of 10 times it'll have
a slight hiccup, you can see it have to load, but in general it's loaded and ready before
I even am ready for it.

And with this new front facing camera system
comes animoji's, it can track your face and you can send video messages to anyone you
know. So overall, the new faceID system has been
excellent, I'm glad it seems like they're going to be implementing it into all of the
other phones in the future years to come. Alright, and next up I wanted to talk about
the camera in these new phones. It uses a 2 camera system on the back, one
is a wide angle lens, another is a telephoto lens, they actually share the same sensor
that's in the iPhone 8 but have a little bit different glass.

The wide angle is an f 1.8 Aperture and the
telephoto lens is an f 2.4 Aperture. Both lenses are optically stabilized, so it's
going to help reduce that camera shake. In previous years, and on the iPhone 8, it's
only on the wide angle lens, in the iPhone x it is on both lenses. This is huge for someone like me, I use my
phone as a professional video device.

I shoot some of my videos, this is my b camera
quite often, so having that stabilized telephoto lens is going to be huge for me. Between the better camera and the new display
the photos I've been getting out of this thing look amazing. It shoots 4k video at 60 frames a second,
which is hard to find in even higher end DSLR's for video. This was the biggest improvement in camera
I've noticed in the last few generations of iPhone.

The dynamic range is great, it's super sharp,
super clear, and I'm really looking forward to using this for the channel going forward. One other new feature that apple has added
is wireless charging. So we no longer have to plug in our phones
to charge them, I believe that was the main reason why they decided to go with the glass
back on the phone. Now this feature is kind of cool on paper,
but something I had never really thought about because I didn't have a wireless enabled phone
previously, if you're charging your phone you're not able to use your phone.

The second you pick up your phone off the
charging pad you can't charge it. So I've been finding myself the last few days
still plugging it in versus using my wireless charger, if I'm sitting at my desk I want
to be able to use my phone while it charges and that's something that can't really happen
right now with wireless charging. I was able to find on amazon a really reasonably
priced wireless charger, I think it was $12 when I picked it up. I've had that on my desk, I've been using
it, I'm still trying to learn its place in my life.

I don't know if I want to keep it at work,
or at home, or at my bedside. Depending on your lifestyle, if you have an
office job or something where you will be picking up your phone a lot and using it throughout
the day, you're not going to be able to use it and charge it simultaneously unless you
plug it in the good old-fashioned way. Alright, and I know I'm not talking really
heavy on the specs here, but I wanted to mention the overall performance. This thing has been blazing fast.

I had a lot of issues when I updated to ios
11 on my older iPhone 7 plus before getting this, but since getting this it is really
optimized very very well with iOS 11, this thing is super snappy and fast and responsive. The animations look great, it feels great
to use, all in all zero zero complaints on the overall performance. So those are all my thoughts on the new iPhone
X. I know I haven't done a tech review on here
before, let me know what you thought down below, I'd love to make reviews a more regular
thing on the channel, I think the tools that I use and keep in my life are very important
to me so maybe that would be of interest to you guys also.

But be sure to like the video if you did enjoy
it, and leave me a comment down below, do you already have the new iPhone x? Are you planning on getting one? Do you have an android phone? I'd love to get that discussion going, and
make sure to subscribe if you want to see more, I put out new videos every Monday and
Friday, but until next time, I will talk to you all later. Have a good one..